Residence Permit Application
Who qualifies for this service?
All expatriates who want to enter the Republic of Botswana for the purposes of employment.
What does it take to apply for the service?
• Proof of a job advert
• Submission of original advert should include qualification, experience, employer’s address and contact numbers and the closing date.
• Advert should circulate for a minimum of 14 days.
• Advert should not be older than 6 months
• Within the 14-day circulation, applications are only open to Batswana citizens.
What do I need to apply for the service as an employee?
Contract of employment.
• Application letter for work.
• Letter of offer/appointment letter
• Curriculum vitae (CV).
• Certified copies of certificates (all certificates in foreign languages must be translated to English)
• Medical report
• Certified copies of a valid passport (Passport copies should reflect applicant’s picture, passport number, and expiry date)
• Passport size photos.
What do I need to apply for the service as an investor?
• Proof of investment if joining an existing company
• Lease of agreement
• Certificate of company registration
• Certificate of shares
• Certificate of incorporation (obtained from Registrar of Companies)
• List of local employees and their identifications
• List of valued assets
• Form 8/ form 13/ form 14 (obtained from Registrar of Companies)
• Medical report
• Certified copies of their valid passport
• Company profile
• Current Bank Statement certified by the bank
What do I need to apply for the service if I am in the medical cadre?
• Proof of permission from Botswana Nursing Council, Midwifery Council of Botswana or Ministry of Health.
What do I need to apply for the service if I am in the teaching cadre?
• Proof of permission to teach from the Ministry of Education or Clearance from BOTA for Vocational or Tertiary Education Council
What do I need to apply for the service if I am in the nursing aide/ caretaker cadre?
• Submit a letter from the patient’s doctor, employer’s identity also certified
What do I need to apply for the service if I am an extra heavy-duty driver?
• Copy of Botswana Driver’s License or classifications from the Department of Transport
• Motor Vehicle Registration Book for both vehicles and trailers
• B A permits for trucks
• P A permits for Public Transport
• List of vehicles and transport permit numbers
What do I need to apply for the service if I am in the accounting cadre?
• Proof of clearance from the Botswana Institute of Accounting
What do I need to apply for the service if I am a footballer?
• Proof of clearance from the Botswana Football Association or Premier league.
What do I need to apply for the service if I am a pilot?
• Proof of clearance from the Civil Aviation.
What do I need to apply for the service if I am farm worker/herd girl/ herd boy?
• Farm Certificate/Brand Certificate and
• Employer’s certified National Identity Card (omang)
How much does it cost to apply for this service?
• $165 (Application for Work Permit)
• $165 (Renewal of Work Permit)
• $165 (Exemption Certificate/Work)
• $165 (Replacement of Work Permit)
- For more information please contact
The Consular Section
Embassy of Botswana
1531-33 New Hampshire Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036
- Tel.: (202) 244-4990
Fax: (202) 244-4164
- Processing time: at least 21 working days