Guidelines for Completing a Visa Application
Countries Whose Citizens Do NOT Require a Visa to Enter Botswana
Citizens of the United States of America do not require a visa to enter Botswana. Here is the full list of countries whose citizens do not require a visa to enter Botswana:
Antigua & Barbuda
Papua New Guinea
South Korea (Republic of)
St. Kitts & Nevis
St. Vincent & the Grenadines
Trinidad & Tobago
United Arab Emirates
United States of America
Countries Whose Citizens DO Require a Visa to Enter Botswana
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Central African Republic
Congo (Dem. Rep. of)
Congo (Republic of)
Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
Laos (Lao People's Dem. Rep.)
North Korea (Dem. People's Rep. of)
Sao Tome & Principe
Notice on Visas and Permits to Botswana
Applicants are advised to give twenty-one (21) working days to process the application. Any visa granted on this application will be subjected to compliance with the immigration regulations of the Republic of Botswana.
In the case of a lost or damaged visa or permit, the applicant will be required to pay P 1,500, an equivalency of US $ 321, to have their visa or permit reproduced. Please contact the nearest Botswana embassy while abroad and any immigration office if in Botswana.
General Requirements for Visa Application
- Fully completed visa application form (Form 1)
- Certified (notarized) copies of passport pages of applicant (showing validity and photograph of bearer)
- Covering letters from the applicant
- A certified copy of the host, national identity/residence permit, work permit/exemption certificate/naturalization certificate
- If applicant previously applied for a visa, PLEASE ATTACH THE COPY OF THE VISA OUTCOME.
- If coming by road, specify on the covering letter and remember to include your contact telephone numbers.
- Travel schedule/flight itinerary/hotel bookings
- Finger prints of applicant will either be captured upon receipt of the application or at the point of entry in Botswana. (Applicants will be required to have their finger captured as one of the requirements)
- The passport of the applicant must have the validity period of six months and above with three or more unused pages.
- Applicants who would not be collecting their visa (endorsed in the passport) shall be requested to write a letter authorizing whoever will be collecting their visa and passports including their full names, ID or passport numbers and contact numbers to the embassy.
- NEW REQUIREMENTS FOR MINORS TRAVELLING THROUGH ALL BOTSWANA POINTS OF ENTRY
- Minors travelling through the country's borders will be required to produce certified copies of unabridged birth certificates
- In the event that one parent is not travelling with the child, the other parent's affidavit consenting to such travel should be availed. However, an affidavit will not be required if the father's name does not appear on the child's birth certificate.
- Diplomatic Visa: Free
- Official Visa: Free
- Visitors; Tourist and Employment Visa: A NON-REFUNDABLE FEE of $107 per application in Money Order
- Business and Investment Visa: NON-REFUNDABLE FEE of $150 per application in Money Order
- Invitation letter from the host
- Sworn statement from the host (personal appearance of the host to the nearest immigration office in Botswana to fill in the affidavit)
- A copy of hotel/lodge bookings or state residential address where the applicant will be staying
- Copies of certified marriage and birth certificates (in case of married couples/dependants)
- Certified copies of ordination certificates of religious leaders
- Business profile if coming to establish a business (host)
- Return visa or residence permit from the country of residence
- Invitation letter from the host or facilitator in Botswana
- Business profile if coming to establish a business
- Certified copies of ordination certificate for religious leaders
- Labour clearance/exemption if coming for a month or more
- Meeting schedule if coming to attend or organize a meeting
- Certified copies of Certificate of Incorporation, Trade License, Share Certificate of host if running a business
- Waiver from department of labour and social security or copies of work and residence permits
- Letter of confirmation of employment/contract of employment or offer letter
- Copies of RELEVANT qualifications
- Copies of work and residence permits
- Certified copies of certificate of incorporation, trade license, share certificate, list of directors, bank statement
- Tour plan or copy of travel schedule
- Confirmation of bookings at hotels/lodges
All copies should be certified (notorized), and please don't forget to include contact numbers.
- Visa fee is non-refundable.
- Allow at least 21 working days for visa processing.
- Personal checks are not accepted.
- No visa fee charged for diplomatic and the United Nations passport holder travelling on official business
- Yellow fever vaccination is not a requirement to enter Botswana.
- Malaria shots are advised.
Send completed applications to:
- Consular Section
Embassy of the Republic of Botswana
1531-33 New Hampshire Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20036
For more information and inquiries:
Tel.: (202) 244-4990
Fax: (202) 244-4164